Thursday, September 16, 2004

Surely, I must be crazy? Plans for the year.

Yesterday, I was addressing a dilemma of mine- as an individual you will want to carve a niche for yourself where you will be among the best - but if that niche turns out to be one that was created solely for money - you'll never be among the best - No matter what you earn, there'll always be guys who will have more money.
And when you look back at the road behind, with all those bags of money in your cart under your ass, you will see a lot more people behind perched higher - thanks to more bags of money under their respective arses.
Hypocrisy was not what I was I was addressing, it was more about the dilemma on whether I should do as the world does. So after all that writing, I might be the biggest hypocrite ever if I solely write and eke my way into one of those Inv. banks or consulting firms.
My current line of thinking - I am going to give that side of me,which thinks I can make a change- by returning to India and spending a year in the villages or with Lok Satta, a real big chance - to see for myself if a change can actually occur - If I give up on account of inability or cynicism or simply parental pressure - I'll just do as the world does, make money.
Either by deferring my offer at LSE - if they agree to it or else I'll make it into one of those money spinners of our times -the IIMs. Since it's only a matter of money - all this stuff about quality education, intellectual schools of thought might as well go down the drain.- and so will my criticism of the IIMs,
So I am currently building up ground for parental counseling - to help them weather the shock - they are the ones who'll tell the relatives that their eldest son came back to work for an NGO or to see the villages after spending three months in London and an IIT degree.
So i guess they don't get any crazier than this - But an year knowing my country should help -even if it still led to a career whose only milestones might be - no of houseplots in Jubilee hills, merc cars, vice president this, president that etc.

I guess I can give an year to what I think is right.and an year with an NGO or some enterprising activity will do me no harm - it's in these days -volunteering -it'll also help you get into the B schools easily from what I hear!

Sounds downright crazy, I guess. But I hope to find out after a year if it was. and be crazier than ever before when it comes to accummulating money this time on.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home