Wednesday, September 15, 2004

The World can't be wrong

The Whole World Can’t Be Wrong?

Even as I started patting myself on the back for taking a decision few people would have made- let me offer some food for thought for people still living in places saner than where I do.
It's tough to accept, but wherever I go, people seem to have the same goal, irrelevant of how historically magnificent your institution is, or how many times people sitting in the same classrooms as you are, have changed the world. From MIT to LSE to IIM A to IITM, it's the same thing - make money - as much as you can in as little time as you can!
Well, everybody's doing it - so it can't be wrong, can it? There however, seems to be much wrong with this world, we can see it on the streets especially in India- Too many people living in poverty, poor primary education, poor public healthcare to cite some. But people in the best schools around the world are doing all that they can do - well, only for themselves however.
I must say all that intellectual school of thought, that I thought I would be a part of, at LSE - is a myth. I can make money, if I can get into an investment bank, there are hordes of them here and offer lots of pay.
LSE's historically been closer to labour - more inclined towards the left - but all it's grads look up to making their careers in the consulting firms and the investment banks and it's director is an honorary member on the board of Morgan Stanley and is a former McKinsey partner.
That's as paradoxical as LSE is today. It's no different at MIT or Harvard either. These are the places people want to get into in the US as well. Ask anybody there and when somebody says he's interested in B-School, you would be wise If you heard, " I want to make some money in the inv banks and consulting firms"
Irrespective of whether you study at LSE or IIM A or elsewhere, it's only the surroundings that differ - a majority want to work at one place-where they hand more bags of money. But my biggest problem with money is that, no matter how much I get of it - there's going to be a guy who'll come along waving all his bags of money - which I can only envy about.
So when there are all these problems, i.e the ones in public health etc around, why is no one working on them? - except those miserable chaps from those govt degree colleges -who well, also do it for money, but do it badly.
Now that's everybody doing stuff for money - you can get away by doing the same thing, albeit masking it with your research in quasi-atomic circulations in sub pelvic magnetic regions, which you so apparently 'love'.
So if you ever wanted to do something different as I am forced to by something inexplicable and out of my control -You risk being a fool and you are not going to be the talking point of living room discussions, nobody's going to say- "IIT chadivaadu, USA vellaadu, Car, Bungalow konnaadu, pedda garage anta, pillalu erraga englishlone maatladuthaaru, asalu ikkada dummu, matti padavu, otti bisleri neelle thaguthaaru ...."
Instead all that they are going to say is " emo nandi, edo chesthoovuntaadu, edo oka illu konnattunnaadu, antha sampadichadandi.."
Well, people, I mean all of you in places where reality can still touch you -It's upto you to decide what you want to do.
And I don't want to be a hypocrite either, I prefer the dust and the grime there.
Let me end with what an IITB CS guy said in an interview to rediff - " IITians must work to set up world-class companies in India" - He took up a job at McKinsey, as Indian as McDonalds is. Let’s hope he does something better later in life.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Materialistic , you say, well thats all economics is all about. Money. The world might churn out assholes, and I might learn what is taught in LSE or Harvard from the Bhagvad Gita and watching LAGAAN. Who cares? What you do out of your life is one's own, I make money. Money for survival, pleasure, savings, growth, genarations to come. Money for Bullshit. Well, I love what I do and I make a hell lot of money out of it. Do you love what you do? Well, but loving what you do and being happy is like trying to kiss your backside. My mom always says, Money isn't everything. But dont tell it, till you have it.

Wrong. Right. My way. Well , an old saying, but truth it is. Society defines laws, rituals, bars to raise and fall. Why is living in poverty, poor primary education , all wrong first of all? Is it because they dont have the quality of life or is it because they are denied education. I am sure it's money, else you will find a hell lot of philosphers amongst India's poorest streets.

Envy, Jealousy, The density of the colour green on the other side. All these, my friend is what you percieve. We don't draw lines to our lifes and then we feel , feel for what we should have had. The rich want to super-rich. The poor , rich. It's always up, up and fatter on the sides.

Education , will make you think, it will give you time to understand and discriminate Materialism and Philosophy. The majority is always wrong. Education teaches you that you can be like the majority and still different. Nevertheless, its the easiest to be one of them.

Profiles, Rich to Super Rich, Infosys to Mc Kinsey. All ain't matter. It is just a bloody mind game. Teach the poor to be happy. I have seen homes, where there is the least of the least, but happiness in abundance.

Like, I once said, Life is not always what you think it is, if it was, it ain't life.

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home